Wednesday, September 5, 2018

LICENSE EXPIRATION – January 17, 2008


LICENSE EXPIRATION – January 17, 2008

Today, Jack nearly had a cow. He spent a couple of hours studying his Driving License. He wrote some notes on a piece of paper. I was very busy and didn’t try to see what he was doing. After Crystal left he told me he either needed my help or I needed to tell him who to call to get his License reinstated, “because it has expired.” With desperation written all over his face he showed me the license. It stated very clearly that his license would expire December 11, 2008. Obviously, he has no clue what year, month or day it is.

But, he did have some hope that I would be able to make arrangements for him to get it reinstated because: “I have an excellent report from the eye doctor and they just called from the clinic and Dr. Chappell says I’m in PERFECT HEALTH.” When he was at the clinic Monday, January 14th, they drew blood and checked it for several things: sugar level, cholesterol, etc. This morning there was a call from the clinic and they asked to speak to him. They told him that his “labs” all looked good. As a result of that call, “I am in perfect health.”

I asked him if he remembered what Dr. Chappell said. He said, “Yes, but he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.” It was a very convoluted conversation. Finally, he said he wanted a four-wheeler like Taylor’s. I reminded him that he’d probably have a hard time getting his leg over it. “You let me worry about getting my leg over it.” I said, “It would be much easier to climb into a golf cart and you can probably get one with a top on it so you won’t be sitting in the sun while you ride.” I also, reminded him that we need to get rid of the truck---that it is just sitting there costing us money---that I won’t drive it and if he can’t drive it, what’s the use of keeping it? He finally agreed that we should get rid of it (so at least for now, he is agreeable---but who knows how long he will remember what he said). We’d better let Bret know quickly. “But, I won’t just give it away.” I asked him if “Blue Book” price would do. He wanted to know how much that might be and I suggested $2,000.00, give or take. “Well, the turbo cost more than that.” I suggested that “the turbo” probably won’t be taken into consideration with “Blue Book,” but that, if he sells the truck, at least he’d have enough money to pay for a Golf Cart.

He mulled that over for a few hours and then said, “Well, we’d better be able to get a golf cart with four-wheel drive.” I asked him why and he said, “So I can drive us to Church in the winter when there is snow on the ground.” I asked him why we’d want to drive to Church in the winter when there is snow on the ground when we have two perfectly good vehicles with heaters in them and protection from the elements and that just because he can’t drive them, I can and that I would be happy to drive us to Church. He hadn’t wrapped his mind around that concept.

Now, he wants to know where his $6,000.00 is that was put in the safe. I told him he didn’t have $6,000.00 in the safe. “Well, I knew I shouldn’t put that money in the safe because I knew I’d lose it if I did.” I asked him where he got $6,000.00. “From the stuff I sold,” he said. I queried him about what “stuff”? He didn’t know.

I’m reasonably sure that I will see nothing of the money that comes from the truck. He will undoubtedly order the horribly expensive “Big Boy” train engine he has wanted for so long (if he can figure out how to order it). However, after we get a golf cart, there may not be enough left for a Big Boy. Let’s hope not.

Today, Thursday, I practiced the choir music. He asked what I was practicing. I told him. He asked when the choir is singing, I said, “This Sunday.” He said, “When is Sunday?”

January 19th, 2008
Jack has been asking for pancakes for several weeks so today, finally, I took the time to make pancakes from scratch. I cooked bacon and eggs, as well. I had fixed him a pear and a slice of sharp cheese to eat while he was waiting for me to get the cats fed, the laundry started and the pancakes going. I put the pills he is supposed to take in the morning in a cup (it’s how he wants them) and put the cup in front of him. When I got things going on the stove I put silverware in front of him and the cup with the pills was still there. I put them in front of him again and said, “Take these pills, now.” Then I went back to the stove to keep everything going. Now, mind you, he doesn’t want cold syrup on his pancakes so I had heated the syrup, made sure the butter was soft, cooked the bacon, eggs and pancakes. I put the food on a plate I had warmed in the oven and put it in front of him, all hot. Next, I proceeded to fix food for me. (If I fix my food at the same time I fix his, I run the risk of his food not being “hot” enough. I ate my food, gathered up my dishes and put them in the dishwasher; then went to get his plate and utensils for the dishwasher and guess what!---the pills were still in the cup in front of him (but he had moved them over to the side, out of his way).

I picked up the cup and put it firmly in front of him, raised my voice and said, “Why do you think I put these in front of you an hour ago?” His answer: “So you could yell at me.” Makes no sense!

January 31, 2008

This morning Jack woke up and wanted to know if today is Saturday (it’s Thursday). I told him “no”. Then he asked if tomorrow is Saturday. I told him “no”. Finally, I told him, “today is Thursday and Crystal will be here to clean the house.” Yesterday, I told him at least four times that, “tomorrow is Thursday and Crystal will be here to clean the house.”

Jack was in his chair after Crystal left and he looked like a “thunder cloud.” I said, “Are you mad.” He said, “YES.” I asked him why and he shouted at me and said, “I’m going to figure out a way to get my driver’s license back.” I asked him where he needed to drive. He said, “Any where I want to. I am not going to live the rest of my life without driving.”

A few minutes later he said, “I thought you said I could have some left-over tamale loaf for lunch. Where is it?” I had fixed his breakfast so he could eat but I didn’t have time to fix my breakfast before Crystal came. After she left I had just sat down to eat a small bowl of wholewheat I had cooked last night. I reminded him that I had not had any breakfast and wondered if it was okay for me to eat before I fixed his lunch. “I want some lunch.” I fixed it and then finished my bowl of wheat. A few minutes later he said, “I want to read the Harry Potter books we haven’t read. If you’re not going to read them to me then I’ll read them myself.” As much as I always enjoyed reading to him (when he was capable of understanding) I think I will let him read them himself. Even when he seemed to be okay, he still got confused and would stop me and I would have to retell the story and try to get him straightened out. He will get confused and want me to straighten things out for him and I won’t be able to because I haven’t read the books. I do intend to read the books but it might be more fun to read them to myself these days.

Now that I think of things, I think this fog Jack is in has been coming on for about 10 years. There are many instances of confusion years ago but I didn’t think too much of it because there was quite a bit of time between the episodes. I was also, undoubtedly, in denial.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

I got up this morning and got my shower. I asked Jack if he wanted to get his shower while the bathroom was warm. He said he’d get it later. This afternoon, after he had watched President Hinckley’s funeral and the specials KSL presented following the funeral, he said, “Well, I guess it’s time to feed the cats and I guess I’d better shave.” He mentioned that he wanted to “shave with a razor.” I asked him whether he was going to use his electric razor or a regular razor. He said, “A regular razor.” I asked him if he was going to get a shower (I don’t like him to wait until Sunday morning to get his shower because it’s too hard to get him ready and get my shower and get myself ready). He indicated he would get a shower (hallelujah!). I knew the bathroom would be cool because I have had a fire in the wood stove to try to keep him warm and when I keep a fire going, the furnace doesn’t turn on much. (I like the rest of the house to be cooler so I can work without sweating.)

He was in the bathroom quite a while and I kept busy, close by, so if he needed help, I’d hear him. Finally I heard him moaning and groaning over and over so I hurried into the bathroom to see why. He had the shower running and he said, “It’s too cold in here and there’s no hot water.” I checked the shower and he had it turned all the way to cold. I told him what was wrong, turned the tap to warm and sure enough, there was plenty of hot water. He kept telling me he turned it the way I showed him last time. But wouldn’t you think that since he had been using hot water to shave that he’d have turned the tap the other way if only cold water came out? After he was through showering and we got him dried off, I had to help him put his clothes on because he wanted to put them on backward. If I don’t stay by him and help him, he will put his underwear on backward (top and bottom) and he will put his shirt on inside-out. Sometimes he puts his pants on backward. No problem the last three or four days. He won’t get undressed to go to bed at night. He just crawls into bed fully dressed. At least I don’t have to take the time to get him dressed in the morning. AND HE THINKS HE SHOULD BE DRIVING?

He has hurt his knees, again, so he is using the wheelchair part of the time. When he walks, he moans and groans, loudly, and I wonder whether or not he’ll make it to wherever he is going. As I mentioned earlier, he said he was going to feed the cats. It didn’t happen. I fed them, as usual. He makes a lot of noise about taking care of the cats but I do it most of the time. I don’t mind. It really doesn’t take that much time and at least I don’t have to worry about him falling off the edge of the porch.

No comments: