Wednesday, January 16, 2008

SUNDAY SWEETHEART UPDATE

This is current information which I will include, maybe once a week, or whenever necessary, to keep you all up to speed on what is going on in our lives.

Jack hadn’t been to Sacrament Meeting for three or four weeks, for one reason or another: Too much snow on the ground and he was afraid he’d slip and fall; just didn’t feel up to it and so on. But this past Sunday, January 13th, he decided he could make it so we went and sat in our usual spot. When Sacrament Meeting was over and people were filing out to go to Sunday School, Jack’s “Sunday Sweetheart,” Della Brian saw him sitting on the bench and I cannot describe the look of delight that crossed her face. I wish I had had a camera. It absolutely tickled me to see it. She hurried over to him, grabbed his hand and squeezed it, then planted a very long kiss on his forehead. She turned to me and said, “I’ve missed my Sunday Sweetheart”, squeezed his hand again and went to Sunday School class. Jack looked just a tad embarrassed but I think he was quite pleased with the attention. Della Brian is about 87 years old and what a pistol!

Well, that’s the fun part. Now, is the sad part. Those of you who talked to Jack at Thanksgiving probably realize that he is not really “up to speed” with what is going on around him. He rarely ever knows what day or month it is. He never knows what the date is or the year. He has no clue what our phone number or address is. When the doctor asks him about it he responds with, “That’s not important for me to know.” He is becoming more and more confused about things present AND past. We had an appointment to see the doctor Monday and now, this doctor has told him that he must not drive any more and it nearly killed him to hear it. He doesn’t seem to know that he doesn’t know. In any case, he would be a menace on the road but he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with him. On Tuesday he was quite despondent most of the day. He thinks if he still lived in Salt Lake City that he could just go drive whenever and wherever he wanted and do all kinds of things. Now there’s a scary thought---Jack driving on the streets of a big city. Our doctor here, Dr. Chappell, is the fourth doctor to tell him he can’t drive. He doesn’t believe any of them and he is angry with them for suggesting it. On the other hand, occasionally he will have a few minutes or even a few hours of clarity and we can talk about things. Then he slips back into his “fog.”

He needs more and more of my time to help him and take care of him. I think we will be getting some “Home Health Care” shortly---mostly so a medical professional sees him each week. But hey, we are managing and I’m still able to care for him at this point. I must learn to be more patient. He still loves to listen to me play the piano and organ, so I try to play one or the other every day. I practice the numbers to accompany the choir and sometimes the Primary songs. Then I try to play something he likes—especially on the organ. That’s a good thing! Playing the piano and organ is something that---“if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it” and I don’t want to “lose” it. Besides, when you get to be my age your hands need all the exercise they can get or they will stiffen up and you won’t be able to use them at all. So, there are my words of advice for today. I love you all.

6 comments:

sbryant said...

Mom, you are now and have always been a good woman and loyal wife to dad in every circumstance. I try to follow your example in the simple things that I am required to do every day. I hope for the best for both of you. Hang in there.

juli said...

You are so patient. I hope Home Health can give you a little break once in a while!

SasquatchIII said...

I have that same problem. I can hardly ever tell you what the date is or what time it is! Guess its all just a part of getting older. Grandpa was talking to me about not being able to drive while we were down there. He was so upset! He was also asking me why I didnt hunt anymore even though I had just showed up to your house last September decked out in hunting garb. I hope that everything works out.

Marilyn Ehlers said...

sasquatchiii: I put an answer to your comments at the end of the "Christmas in Blanding" chapter. I thought I was putting them here. So go to the end of the other one. Sorry about that. I'll get the hang of this, yet.

Ember said...

In regards to:
SUNDAY SWEETHEART
That is so cute!

LIFE WITH GRANDPA
You're such a good wife to grandpa and your patience is exceptional as are you might I add. I am always trying to work on my patience and I have no where near the patience you have. As I've grown up watching you I have admired a lot of the qualities that you posess and would wish that one day I could posess those same qualities. You are such a wonderful person grandma. I love you!

Patti & Dave Wynn Family said...

I'm sure he will forget that the Dr. said he couldn't drive. I hope you are still hiding the keys. Some day you will be blessed for putting up with him and being patient, even when he doesn't deserve it. Hang in there. We are all rooting for you and I even have a car picked out for you when we can sell the other 3. It would be perfect for you and you would look great in it. We love you.