Friday, September 21, 2007

My Beginnings

Today, I'm giving you basic information regarding my beginnings. It's fairly interesting and in the days and years to come I will probably refer back to the beginning with tidbits to fill out some of my stories and make the history more complete--so here goes:

I was born April 6, 1933 (in the home where I was raised for 18 years) in Blanding, San Juan County, Utah. Parents: Justin Abinadi and Margaret Blanche Cox Black. I weighed in at 9-1/2 pounds. My mother told me I saw my first snowfall six days later. I barely remember it. My mother was 40 years old and she really had not wanted to have another child but my dad prevailed. I've always been pretty happy about that.

I was the youngest of seven children: Ora, born October 30, 1918; Sherman Cox, July 22, 1920; Grace, June 27, 1923; Porter Cox, April 17,1926 (he died in March of 1928); Durant Cox, May 30, 1928; George Albey, November 9, 1930; TA-Dah! And then there was me in 1933.

You may wonder why three of my brothers had the same middle name. It used to be the thing to do because it helped with genealogy. The sons were given the "maiden name" of their mother so the genealogy would be easier to trace. I'm not sure why George didn't get the "Cox" middle name but my mom had two favorite brothers: George and Albey so I guess they figured that genealogists could trace his lineage, as well.

As you can see, none of us three girls got a middle name. I always felt kinda cheated, but at least my name had seven letters as opposed to Ora's three and Grace's five. By the way, you noticed my mom's name was Margaret Blanche. She was always called Blanche (which means "white") For some reason (unknown to me) my dad's nickname was Jet (Jet Black). I found it amusing that my mom and dad were "white" and "Jet Black".

My parents were both born in Huntington, Emery County, Utah. Dad was born May 29, 1887 and mom November 17, 1892. My dad's family moved to New Mexico when he was ten and they never knew each other. Finally my dad ended up in Blanding, Utah. Although my mom and dad were not related to each other in any way, a woman who was cousin to both my mom and dad (I must find out the background on that one) became concerned because my dad was 30 and my mom was 25 and neither were married. Actually, in those days people married quite young so they were really "old." Anyway, this cousin suggested they meet each other so dad traveled to Huntington in the Fall of 1917. They met and I guess they liked each other. My dad went back to Blanding and they corresponded. Dad went back to Huntington and they were married in the Manti, Utah temple, January 9, 1918.

The trip from Huntington to Manti had to be pretty cold. They had no car and had to travel with a team and wagon. Brr-rrr!

Well, as they say, the rest is history. I came along 15 years later and as a direct result of the foregoing activities, all my above-average children, grandchildren and great-grandchild are here for me to enjoy. And, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the remarkable extended families who have blessed our lives with love and joy.

This is probably enough for one day but let me assure you, there's much more to come in the future. I just hope you find it as interesting to read as I have found it interesting to live. I should apologize, in advance, because I have a habit of rambling when I tell stories. It's only because I think of other factors that influence the outcome of my stories as I tell them. I just want my remembering to be memorable for all of you. After all, I have come from a "pioneer" era into the INCREDIBLE 21st century and if that is not worth reliving and retelling, I don't know what is.

I love you all.

8 comments:

juli said...

I love it! I cannot believe how much detail you remember. I really have to think to get my own kids' birthdates right!
Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Unknown said...

Grandma I'm so happy to see that you're doing a blog. I've been asking you for years to put your stories on audio cassette. The internet is an amazing way to keep in touch.
This thrills me.
I love you!
-Kacie

Ember said...

Grandma I LOVE IT!!! Your stories are wonderful and I'm so excited to be able to read more! I hope you are doing well. I LOVE YOU!!!

Em :)

Jackie said...

Glad you are doing this mom. Thanks Juli for setting this up!

SasquatchIII said...

You could tell us a story every day and I dont think that would be eneough. Im very exited to learn more about my Grandma! So, next stop Myspace?

Marilyn said...

I loved reading your comments and it makes me cry with happiness that you are interested. Yes, Kacie, I know you've been after me to do this. I find myself waking up at night and thinking about all the things to tell. I get so excited I can't sleep. But, I think I must have a mystery grandchild. Who is sasquatchiii? I have a hunch, but I'm not sure. Fill me in, please. I love you all.

Anonymous said...

Gosh I'm out of the loop. I just found out about your blog, Grandma, but I promise to be an avid fan from now on! It's not every day that your tech-saavy Grandma starts a blog. Thanks for taking the time to tell your stories. I for one am extremely interested in hearing them! You have a wonderful sense of humor--you "barely remember" your first snowfall at six days old. Haha!

Love,
Ali

Rica said...

This is perfect! I love hearing your stories when we visit, but this will make it much easier to remember all the stylish details you add. Keep it up, I'll be checking back often.